Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A little pregnancy update

I had my doc appointment today. Since on Friday I will be 42 weeks, they're required to induce me by Thursday, so I have an induction appointment set up for Thursday morning at 6am. I asked about the induction process, they give you pitocin and break your water to start out with. YIKES!!! I mean, that sounds like some seriously HARD labor, with practically nothing working up to it. I wonder if he'd just break my water and wait an hour to see if contractions started on their own, that way I could keep things natural.


So, for a quick funny story, when I went in today, there were several people in training. One came in with the nurse and learned to check the heart beat. Another resident came in with the doc. (Unfortunately for me, it was a young, semi-attractive doc). The doc checked my cervix (YAY I'm at 3.5 with bulging membranes!!!!!!!!!!). Then he asked if the resident could check my cervix. He said, "I know YOU won't mind, you're an old veteran at this" I'm sorry, but having someone stick their hand up your...whoo hooo...is not something you can ever get used to. But I said "sure, the more the merrier, right?" So, this was the first time he'd ever checked someone, so I had to just sit and twiddle my thumbs while he figured out what he was doing. Ha ha ha, yeah, great fun.

The good news is that I am on my way, starting to dialate and with my waters bulging. I had him strip my membranes and I will go on a several mile-long walk this afternoon with my sister. I'm desperate to avoid the induction, if possible, so I'll give it my best effort.


Wish me luck!!!!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Oh Jessica I so admire you... You are so like me LOL.... now go walk - jumping jacks - get in bed with your husband... now have that baby!!!

Jana and Brett said...

OH wow! You are so funny. haha GO ON THAT WALK!!! And jump up and down if you have to! I've had pitocin with both my kids...NOT FUN! But it's all worth it in the end, right? :0) GOOD LUCK!

Stephanie said...

I agree with Laura get in bed with your hubby. That seems to work quite well! Good luck. I hope things go well.

John and Jessica Tilton said...

Ha ha, you girls are great. Yes, I've tried the hubby-induced labor, hasn't worked thus far, but maybe tonight's the night. :) I've also tried using a breast pump, walking, jumping jacks, moving furniture, herbs, homeopathic remedies. I figure somethings GOT to work, I'm running out of time, though!

Kristina said...

You should be in labor about now and I'm thinking about you! Hope it's all going smoothly and somehow you avoided the induction? By the way, perfect song for this. 10 days late. Brings back memories!