Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bye Bye kidney stones!

I had surgery today for the kidney stones. There are two types of proceedures (well, two that don't involve any cutting), and I was told up until today that I would have the one that was a little more invasive, but more effective. I didn't want this one, but the stone was in a place that the other proceedure wouldn't work as well. Well, we got to the hospital and I was told that I had the option of the less invasive, less effective proceedure, called lithotripsy, so I took that option.

Here's the jist of what it is:

You lie on a water-filled cushion, and the surgeon uses X-rays or ultrasound tests to precisely locate the stone. High-energy sound waves pass through your body without injuring it and break the stone into small pieces. These small pieces move through the urinary tract and out of the body more easily than a large stone.

Everything went well, and I am back home, a little loopy from the anesthesia, but very happy, but that might be the meds too...hmmm...

I haven't had too much discomfort from the smaller fragments passing. I don't have much of a voice from the tube being down my throat during the proceedure, but since the kids are being taken care of by my wonderful parents and in-laws, I have no need for my "loud voice". I can't breastfeed for a day because of the antibiotics, so little Logan is on the bottle, but doing REALLY well with it.

BUT, the REAL SILVER LINING in this whole thing, is that I got an AWESOME NAP!! Thanks to the anesthesia, I got a nice, long UNINTERRUPTED nap. Oh yeah. This whole mess was almost worth it just for that!


So, just wanted to post an update for any who are wondering. This whole thing has been one miracle after another. I wasn't even sure that the kidney stone was even still in there because I haven't had any pain in almost two weeks, but it was definately still there. How awesome is it that I just couldn't feel it? Then I got the proceedure that I wanted, but didn't think I could get. I have all the help I need. My baby is doing good with the bottle. Of course, the nap (we can't forget about the nap!!) I could go on and on.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I know there are other things in this post that are more important to comment on...but did you say NAP? Like a real life nap? A honest to goodness nap? Like with closing your eyes, deep breath, sleep and everything??? How did you say you get kidney stones again??? :) Glad you are doing better.

goatsie said...

You are one tough cookie AND you have an awesome attitude. I'm so glad the less invasive surgery worked and that you got some quality sleep.