Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Letter from Cory's teacher

So, for a Cory update on how he's doing at school, I got the following letter from his teacher (Mrs. Chavez) today...

"Cory has been having some difficulty the last couple days, crying and saying he misses his mom. I then offer to let him draw you a picture or sit somewhere else so that he can take a break. He has not really been completing the assessments I have given the class either. We have been doing a lot of assessments and I am hoping that once we are done with this, he will not feel so stressed and participate in class more. At one point this afternoon, he was crying and so I just had him get up and hold my hand while I walked around the room helping other students. That calmed him down and in less than a minute he went back to his seat and felt better. He has been enjoying reading time and really does a great job during partner reading. He also participated during math time this afternoon, which he enjoyed and finished with some help."

So, not GREAT, but not BAD either. I still consider this success. I really like his new teacher so far.

Also, I got a call from Bryson's teacher (Mrs. Wood) today as well. For a history, occasionally Bryson gets into a funk, and there is no talking him out of it. He will sit and pout and glare and tear up any sheet of paper that is given to him. For a long time I attributed it to the "terrible three's", but it has been an ongoing problem. (Any of his primary teachers will know what I'm talking about) I think it may be a learned behavior from dear older brother, at least I hope it is. Well, today Bryson got into one of his little moods at school, and the teacher wasn't quite sure what to do with it. He wouldn't come in to class, then he wouldn't do an assignment, then he wouldn't get on the bus. She called me with some ideas, asking my opinion, and seeing if I had any other recommendations. It sounds like she's on the right track, but I've got to say, I'm embarassed to have BOTH my kids acting up. Other mothers of school-age children out there, is this normal to have kids acting up at school??? I pray there isn't something "different" about Bryson too!!

2 comments:

Jana and Brett said...

I love how your teachers are so involved! Don't worry about it Jess! The beginning of every school year is rocky! I'm just so impressed with your boy's teachers already! You are lucky! :0)

Quinn said...

I think Boston has some attention problems, but you'd have to talk to Greta about that. I can give you her email, or phone number. I agree with Jana, it is really great that the teachers are so willing to be that deeply involved, and to keep you informed with so much detail, instead of just force feeding you the negative things.