Thursday, August 14, 2008

Adventures of Cory Tilton

It has been an interesting week and a half since Cory has gone to school. Bryson is quite lonesome without his big brother/best friend/playmate, but he and Dallin are getting along better, so I am glad to see their friendship developing.

Cory has had a challenging time adapting to school, but I had anticipated a difficult adjustment period, so at least I felt more or less ready. The first few days were very had, he was rude on the playground (pushing, calling names, etc.), and hiding under tables during class time. I won't go on and on, but he racked up quite a list of misbehaviors. So, last Friday I met with his teacher, the school psychologist, the school counselor, and the special ed teacher. They all could see that he was not doing these things to be intentionally disruptive or malicious, but that he was getting overwhelmed and acting out. I was glad to see that they saw this about Cory because on first glimpse, it doesn't always appear that way. So, after that first meeting we decided to cut him to half-days, and we made a planner for him so he could see what was coming next in the day. (With him, it's ALL about the routine!!).

So, he did quite a bit better during the day, but was still not willing to go into the classroom first thing in the morning. Then on Tuesday morning we missed the bus, and so we went to another bus stop, but this was not HIS bus stop, so he just refused to get on the bus. I had to drive him to school. This was a change in routine and he did NOT care for it. Ahy yiy yiy! He quite literally would not get out of the car once we got to the school, so I had to drag him out. Of course he was screaming and any time I let go, he would make his way back into the car. I had the other little ones with me, so I physically wasn't able to carry him into school and push a stroller, so I just stood there trying to "reason" with him (ha!). Luckily the school counselor happened to be walking into the building and saw the struggle - not that it was difficult to miss - so she lent a hand. She had to drag Cory into school kicking and screaming, and then once she got to the school, he bolted out the door screaming and running for the parking lot. The poor lady had a bad knee, but was scared of him running in front of a car, so she had to chase him. She barely made it,and had to drag him back. Once he got in the school he did ok. The next day we DIDN'T miss the bus.

A trick I have learned is to have him bring things for his teacher. This helps him want to see his teacher, distract him from the transition that's taking place, and start the day on a positive note. So, since the incident, I have had him bring roses from our garden to his teacher, and it has been working wonderfully, and he is starting to participate more. We met with all the professionals yesterday, and they all agreed he has been improving. They are all impressed with him knowing his numbers, letters, and the sounds of the letters. They also said some very kind things about my parenting techniques, which was nice because so often I feel like my parenting is lacking because of his irrational behavior.

So, we have made it a little bit further in the school year, and no casualties yet. We are seeing progress, though it doesn't come without a tremendous amount of patience from everyone, but it is happening. I love his teacher, she is so perfect for him, and so many of the other people there reach out to him and help him. There is light at the end of the tunnel. His appointments with the behavioral therpaist and the NACD could not come fast enough, though.

4 comments:

The Regimballe Family said...

I'm so glad you've got good people working with him. Keep at it and best of luck!

The Solomon Fam said...

He's such a sweet kid. I'm glad that the people at the school are really trying to help. Hopefully he'll be loving school in no time. I can only imagine how hard it was to try and reason with him when you couldn't carry him in to school. Sounds like you are doing a great job, hang in there!

Laura said...

Hey there miss ya! Tears came to my eyes reading your blog especailly about Cory. You are such a good mom! So glad school is going okay.... sounds like you have been blessed! Oh yes and I had no idea you had a blog.

Natalie said...

Jess! It is wonderful to read your blog and to be able to stay updated on your life and the happenings of your boys. I can not believe that Dallin is one...what they heck!! I think a good teacher is one of the most important things, but the thing more important than that is great parents and he does have that. you have the patience of a saint and you have brought him up so well. He is such a sweet heart. Keep me posted on all the happenings of the meetings and all, I'm interested to hear what they think. If you ever need anything or have any questions let me know and maybe I can help! I can't believe little Cory is in school, we are getting old ;o) Kiss the boys for me!