Sunday, August 14, 2011

New job

So - as many of you know I started a new job this last week.  I wanted to load a picture of me in my scrubs here, but I'm always in a rush getting out the door, and by the time I come home, I just look nasty.  So, no visual aides for this post, sorry.  To clarify, my motive for going back to work is not to fill some need to "keep my sanity" or to pursue a career I felt I missed out on,or put on hold while having kids.  I keep getting the comment "Good for you, going back to work!" and it just puzzles me.  There is one reason, and one reason alone: money money money, stupid stupid money.  Or maybe I should say "bills bills bills.  Stupid bills."  Well, that and John's back - we're hoping him not being the sole "bacon bringer" will ease some of his burden, so his back doesn't end up with permanent damage.  So, we're keeping our fingers crossed for that.

So, what's the job you ask?  I work as a patient care technician at a dialysis company.  I will be working 40+ hours per week, and my responsibilities will include caring for 4 patients at a time, checking blood pressures, reacting to dialysis alarms, connecting patients to the dialysis machine (Yes, that means I'll be putting in large needles into frail veins), administering some forms of medication, etc.

I'll only work 3 days a week most weeks.  Sure there will be some long (like 15 hour) days - which will likely start just before 4am, but the other 4 days I will be home with my family.  Since John usually gets Friday and Saturdays off, this means I only have to find a sitter 2 days a week.  The company provides full benefits, bonuses, frequent raises, etc.  It really seems like a good job.  Something to carry us through until John gets done with school.

I've now worked 3 days (in a row).  It's going good, I think.  Usually training is like 10 weeks, but they're hoping to condense it into about half of that because they are so short-handed.  To someone who has no previous medical experience, it definitely feels more than a little overwhelming.  Plus I miss the kids horribly.  I could lie and say that it's not that bad, but it is.  I hate leaving them.  It completely breaks my heart.  I'll have to work on Dallin's 4th birthday on Tuesday and so that's just salt in the wound.

As for your next question:  Who's watching the kids?  I have to divide them up during the week.  One of John's coworkers lives just a couple streets away, and she takes the older kids before and after school both days.  She also takes the younger ones during one of the days (all day).  The other day, Dallin and Logan go to my in-laws house.  It makes for some early mornings for the kids, being dropped off just before 5, and on a school morning!  Ah.  Once again, breaks my heart.  But what else can I do?

So, that's the scoop.  It's a good job, in fact it's fascinating.  I've learned a lot.  I like the people I work with, they all have been nice.  Just kind of a bummer that I have to leave my babies...

5 comments:

The Solomon Fam said...

I am sure it is very hard for you to leave them. You are a very good Mom and you are doing what you need to do to take care of your family. Those boys are lucky to have you. It sounds like a great job! Good luck I am sure you will be great!

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Here, here to what tiff said! you are an amazing mother and you are setting a great example for your boys! I just started a new job too and I know how exhausting and stressful it can be, but I can't imagine how much harder it would be leaving behind little ones, especially when they are as cute as yours!! Hang in there, you are amazing and are a SUPER hero in your children's eyes for sure!

J2A2K (darth_ender) said...

Awww Jess, I bet it's hard leaving your kids. I can't even imagine. I'm sure it's really tough,but remember all this hard work and sacrifice will pay off. You are doing what you have to do for the stupid money to pay those stupid bills.;) You are an incredible person. I've always thought that. You are a strong and inspiring woman. John and your boys are certainly lucky to have you by their side. You can DO it! If you ever need anything let us know. :)

Stephanie said...

I am sorry you have had lots of struggles lately. You seem to be powering through everything though. My thoughts and prayes are going our to you and your little family at this time. Things are crazy here. Little girl due in about three weeks. Can't WAIT! Give my love to all.