Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Initiation to Boyhood

Dallin had his initiation to boyhood last night. 



Poor kid ran into a dresser (at least that's what I can gather).  The three boys were in their room "cleaning" when Cory and Bryson ran out screaming "Something REALLY BAD happened!  Dallin has lots of blood".  Eeek.  I was on the couch nursing Logan and I see Dallin come out just covered in blood from the mouth down and so upset he couldn't even breathe.   

So, I practially drop poor Logan and scoop up my little boy who looks like he is about to hurl, so I run to the bathroom and he makes it to the toilet before he starts that process.  I was just praying that the chunks I was seeing weren't pieces of his teeth.  John was at school about to take a math test, and I called him and told him there was blood everywhere, I couldn't tell what was wrong, and I needed him to come home.  He rushed home, and by the time he got home I could see a decent sized cut on his lip.  The bleeding had stopped, but the cut was so wide that I figured he needed stitches.  So, we went to the ER, covered in blood and puke.  (Nice mental image, huh?  I just didn't want to pull a shirt over Dallin's head and risk making his lip worse, and I figured I'd get more blood on me before the night was over and I didn't want to ruin TWO shirts) 

We got in fast and the woman in charge of Dallin happened to be Bryson's best friend's mom!  Yay for a familiar face!  I had the option of rolling him in a blanket like a burrito and going at him with the stitches or sedating him.  Um.  Duh!  Knock the kid out!  So they did, and I almost fainted in the middle of the whole thing.  I felt so stupid, had to sit down and put my head between my legs.  You'd think all that Grey's Anatomy would have me more desensitized!  Since it was about 4 hours in the ER, my mom came and brought Logan, along with some stuff for Dallin to play with and some food for me.  (Thanks, ma!)  Then my dad came in and visited with Dallin for a bit too. 

We're home now, Dallin is in good spirits (and really has been this whole time, except for his initial reaction to the injury and when he had to get the two shots that put him under).  The nurse in triage asked him to pick which smiley face he felt like (there were 5 faces that either looked happy, sad, or anywhere in between) and he chose the happiest face.  :)  My sweet Dallin. 

As you can see from the pics, he's back to his rascally self - you know - the little boy who jumps off furniture, wrestles his brothers, and attempts to run around the house with his eyes closed.  Sheesh, I can foresee a few more trips like this to the hopsital in the future for this kiddo.  But I'm glad we both made it through your initiation.



He's now got 5 stitches holding his lip together, three in front, and two behind his lip.  He's on a soft-food diet for a week, and then we'll go back to the hospital and have the same mom-friend take out the stitches.

No comments: