Saturday, August 28, 2010

Blonde? Utterly sleep deprived? or Complete and total idiot?? Hmmm....

I'm trying to decide which word describes me best after this weekend's "incident".  Oh boy. 


Thursday night rolled around and after a few nights of not sleeping (courtesy of my adorable baby), and I was exhausted.  The thought crossed my mind that I should give the kids baths, but instead I found myself on the computer.   The internet had been down for two days and I finally had a quiet moment to sit down and try to get it working.  After about an hour of fiddling with settings it started working.  Yay!  I was pround.  The thought about the kid's baths came around again, but it was getting late, so I figured I'd give them baths in the morning.  So instead, I sent Cory to brush his teeth.  Cory obeyed and a moment later he yelled, "Mom, there's water EVERYWHERE!!" 




Oh crap. 




I ran in, and aparently I had turned on the bathwater.  I still have no recollection of doing this, but the kids say that I told Bryson to get in the tub, so aparently I did. 


There was an inch of water in the bathroom.  I was literally scooping it up by the cupful.  When that was done, I went to see what the damage was to the carpet.  The water had spread all the way from the bathroom almost to my bed (about 10 feet), and entirely across the width of the bedroom (around 15 feet).  I could literally step on the carpet across the room and it was splash it had so much water in it. 


While all this was happening, John was still at school and Logan was screaming his sweet little head off.  But that's just how these things go.


After about a half hour of attempting to get some of the water out, John came home.  (Ahhh, my knight in shining armor!!  What relief!)  And he didn't even say anything about my "little mistake", he just dug in and helped clean and with the baby.  He called his parents and they came over with their carpet cleaner, so we had two going trying to get the water out.  My carpet cleaner got 5 1/2 jugs of water (probably about a gallon each) out of the carpet, and I only did the portion furthest from the bathroom.  John's parents stayed until almost midnight helping me with the baby and with the carpets.  (Don't I have the best inlaws ever??)


Two days later, the carpet is still moist and now the stench of mildew is breathtaking.  I'm praying we don't have to tear up the carpet, but I'm not sure we'll be able to get around it.  Ughh....!!!!


The song "If I only had a brain" comes to mind.

3 comments:

Allison @ Allie Browns Layouts said...

OH MY! We've all been there and have had our moments! I'm sorry it was such a mess.

My kids like to play in the sink in the hall bath. Well, you know that little hole in the sink that's supposed to drain the water when it gets too high??

Well, my grand gem-of-a-house's sink has the hole, but the hole leads to nowhere, just the underside of the sink, behind two little doors where we store the shampoo/conditioner/toilet paper.

So, a certain son of mine (we won't name names *cough-DARREN-cough*) plugged the sink and let the faucet run while playing with this toys. The water came up and then went out the rusty hole that leads to the underside of the sink and all over the place.

The toilet paper was like twice the size it normally is when I found them sitting under the sink.

JOY.

It was a mess to clean as well and totally ruined the wood of the cabinet. Oh well, it's a crappy cabinet anyway! :P

Hope the stench of your carpet goes away!

Allison @ Allie Browns Layouts said...

I've gone private. Would you send me your email address so I can invite you? Thanks! Alliebrownie@gmail.com.

Val said...

Oh man! What an ordeal. I hope you don't have to get new carpet. Goodluck!